- “Michael Dunn is on trial for killing a 17-year-old in a dispute over loud music, and this case is far from an isolated incident,” states VPC Legislative Director Kristen Rand. “Just last month, a man with a concealed carry permit shot and killed someone who was texting in a movie theater. State policymakers are jeopardizing public safety with laws that allow virtually anyone to carry a concealed handgun, and innocent people are paying with their lives.”
- White rage and white lies: How the right’s language about race created Michael Dunn and George Zimmerman
- At Least 26 Children Or Teens Died In Florida Stand Your Ground Cases
Avery Palmer, Violence Policy Center
If you like reading this article, consider joining the crew of all reader-supported Evergreene Digest by contributing the equivalent of a cafe latte a month--using the donation button above—so we can bring you more just like it.
February 10 - As the trial of concealed carry permit holder Michael Dunn in the fatal shooting of teenager Jordan Davis gets underway, research shows this tragic incident is part of a nationwide trend. The Violence Policy Center (VPC) has found that individuals legally allowed to carry concealed handguns are responsible for at least 622 deaths since May 2007 — including the victims of 27 mass shootings and the killing of 14 law enforcement officers.
The VPC details these incidents in the latest update to Concealed Carry Killers, an online resource that offers examples of non-self defense killings by private citizens legally allowed to carry concealed handguns in public.
Because there is no comprehensive recordkeeping of deaths involving concealed handgun permit holders and many states in fact bar the release of such information, the examples on the Concealed Carry Killers website are taken primarily from news reports and most likely represent a fraction of actual events.
Michael Dunn reacts after the verdict is read in Jacksonville, Fla., Saturday, Feb. 15, 2014. (Credit: AP/Bob Mack)
The Violence Policy Center (VPC), a national non-profit, works to stop the annual toll (More than 30,000 Americans die in gun-related incidents.) of death and injury through research, advocacy, education, and collaboration.
Avery Palmer is Communications Director at Violence Policy Center.
White rage and white lies: How the right’s language about race created Michael Dunn and George Zimmerman, Paul Rosenberg, Salon
- Monday, Feb 17, 2014 | The way we talk about race remains all wrong -- and until we fix it, more young people are going to needlessly die.
- Although Michael Dunn was found guilty of four lesser charges, his mistrial for the murder of Jordan Davis bears obvious comparison to George Zimmerman’s acquittal for the murder of Trayvon Martin. In both cases, innocent, unarmed black teenagers were killed with impunity, with after-the-fact “explanations” that strain credulity, to say the least, while prosecutors failed to address the central role that race played in the case.
At Least 26 Children Or Teens Died In Florida Stand Your Ground Cases, Nicole Flatow, Think Progress
- Here are some of the young Florida victims.
- Despite safety emphasis, school shootings continue.