- Current efforts to nullify abortion coverage in Ohio and elsewhere can all be traced back to the Bush White House
- Totally Nuts
- Age of Ignorance
Amanda Marcotte, Alternet
To stay on top of important articles like these, sign up here to receive the latest updates <http://evergreenedigest.org/contact>from all reader supported Evergreene Digest.
George W. Bush
Friday, Jun 13, 2014 | Spouting off about stuff you know nothing about is traditionally considered unwise. But as the Republican war on science intensifies, ignorance has started to become not only less of a handicap, but a point of pride. In the face of expertise and facts, being belligerently ignorant—and offended that anyone dare suggest ignorance is less desirable than knowledge—has become the go-to position for many conservative politicians and pundits. Sadly, it’s a strategy that’s working, making it harder every day for liberals to argue the value of evidence and reason over wishful thinking and unblinking prejudice.
The strategy of holding out ignorance to be the equivalent of expertise and simply daring your opponents to try to do anything about it was epitomized recently in the Ohio legislature. Republican state legislator John Becker introduced a bill that would ban all insurance plans in the state from covering abortion. It was a horribly misogynist and intrusive bill, but Becker didn’t stop at just trying to outlaw abortion coverage. He also insisted that IUDs, the most effective contraception available, be outlawed from insurance coverage. His reasoning was that he believes IUDs cause abortion, because he believes they work by killing fertilized eggs.
Amanda Marcotte is a Brooklyn-based freelance writer and journalist. She's published two books and blogs regularly at Pandagon, RH Reality Check and Slate's Double X.
Full story …
Totally Nuts, Mankh (Walter E. Harris III), Axis of Logic
- Let's not try to figure out everything at once / It’s hard to keep track of you falling through the sky --The National, from their song “Fake Empire”
- America dumbs down
Age of Ignorance, Charles Simic, New York Review of Books
- What we have in this country is the rebellion of dull minds against the intellect. That’s why they love politicians who rail against teachers indoctrinating children against their parents’ values and resent the ones who show ability to think seriously and independently. Despite their bravado, these fools can always be counted on to vote against their self-interest.
- Human Stupidity Is Destroying the World
- George Monbiot | Right's Stupidity Spreads, Enabled by Too-Polite Left